These make-ahead, freezer-friendly, microwave-ready, breakfast-in-a-tortilla satisfy all! Eggs, cheese, sausage, hash browns, salsa and tortilla wrapped up in a delicious breakfast is a perfect time-saver.
- 1 lb. ground pork breakfast sausage
- ½ cup salsa
- 1 (20 oz.) pkg. (about 4 ½ cups) refrigerated regular or Southwest style hash brown potatoes
- Vegetable or olive oil
- 10 large eggs
- ⅓ cup half and half or milk
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 8 oz. (2 cups) shredded Cheddar cheese
- 10 large (10“) flour tortillas
- 10 (12″ x 12″) sheets of aluminum foil
Serve with salsa, guacamole, hot sauce and/or sour cream
- Heat a large (12“) nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage. Cook, stirring to crumble, until browned (6 – 7 min.). Using a slotted spoon, transfer sausage to paper towel-lined plate to drain. Transfer cooked sausage to bowl; stir in salsa. Set aside.
- Into same skillet, add as much vegetable oil to pan drippings as needed per package directions on hash browns.
- Cook hash browns as directed until golden brown. Remove from pan; set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, half and half, salt and pepper until combined.
- Into same skillet, melt butter over medium-low heat. Spread the butter to coat the surface and pour in egg mixture.
- Push the eggs in toward the center of the skillet as they set on the bottom. Continue until all of egg mixture is just set (about 4 min.). Do not overcook. Remove to a separate bowl.
- Line up ingredients starting with foil squares, then tortillas, cheese, eggs, sausage and hash browns.
- Work inside a large jelly roll pan for easy clean-up. Place 1 foil square inside jelly roll pan; top with tortilla. Sprinkle about ¼ cup shredded cheese across width of tortilla, leaving a 2” margin around the edge. Repeat process with about ⅓ cup each eggs, sausage, and hash browns.
- Fold tortilla sides in; wrap up burrito style. Fold foil sides in and wrap up burrito style.
- Repeat process with remaining ingredients. When done, freeze in a single layer until solid (about 2 hours).
- Transfer to a plastic freezer bag for extended storage (3 weeks).
- To reheat:
- For best results, thaw desired number of burritos overnight in the refrigerator. When ready to heat, remove foil. Wrap burrito loosely in paper towel. Microwave on HIGH until heated through (about 2 min.), rotating and turning over midway through.
- For frozen burritos, repeat the same process but allow 3 – 4 min. total cooking time.
- Serve with salsa, guacamole, hot sauce and/or sour cream.
- Before assembling, warm stack of tortillas in microwave 10 – 20 seconds to make more pliable.