Oats are the perfect option for a nutritious, make-ahead breakfast. Various toppings allow for endless flavor combinations.
- 2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats (not quick-cooking or steel cut)
- ¼ cup chia seeds (adds to thick texture), optional
- 2 cups milk of choice (dairy, soy, almond, oat etc.)
- 1 cup plain greek yogurt
- ¼ cup sweetener of choice (pure maple syrup, honey, brown sugar)
- 2 tsp vanilla (or almond flavoring)
- ¼ tsp salt
Assorted toppings and/or stir-ins
Fresh cut-up fruit, berries, dried fruit, chopped nuts, coconut, nut butter, mini-chocolate chips, cinnamon, granola.
- In large bowl, whisk together all ingredients except toppings until well combined. Transfer to glass container and cover with lid or plastic food wrap. (Hint: an 8-cup glass measure with lid is ideal and allows for ‘one-bowl’ method.)
- Refrigerate at least 4 hours, but preferably overnight.
- When ready to eat, spoon desired portion into serving dish. Stir in and/or top with favorite toppings.
- Prepared oats (without fruit) will keep for several days refrigerated.
We like to serve oats “parfait style”: Fill bottom half of single-serve (8 oz.) jar with prepared oats. Add desired toppings. Fill jar with more oats and top with desired toppings.
Pictured flavor combinations (clockwise from the top):
Chunky Monkey: diced banana, spoonful of almond butter, mini-chocolate chips and peanuts
Apple Cinnamon Crunch: diced apple, sprinkling of cinnamon, granola
Mixed Berry: chopped strawberries and blueberries
Fruit and Nut Trail Mix: raisins, craisins, chopped dried cherries, chopped mixed nuts, sunflower seeds
Almond Raspberry: almond milk, almond extract, raspberries, chopped almonds