The rich and nutty flavor of browned butter is the perfect complement to pumpkin bars.
- 2 ½ cups flour
- 1 ⅔ cups sugar
- 1 ¼ tsp baking powder
- 1 ¼ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- 1 (15 oz.) can pumpkin
- ¾ cup butter, softened
- ⅓ cup milk
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup butter
- 3 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 4 – 5 Tbsp Half & Half
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray 15” x 10” x 1” jelly roll pan with non-stick spray or line pan with rapid-release foil.
- Combine all dry ingredients in large mixing bowl.
- Add softened butter and pumpkin. Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until well mixed.
- Add eggs and milk. Beat until well mixed.
- Pour into prepared pan. Bake 25 – 35 min. or until bars spring back when lightly touched in center. Cool completely.
- Meanwhile, prepare frosting. Melt butter in 2-quart heavy saucepan over medium heat.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until butter just begins to turn golden brown (3 – 4 min.). Butter will get foamy and bubble. Watch closely so milk solids don’t burn. Immediately remove from heat.
- Transfer to mixing bowl; let cool.
- Add powdered sugar and vanilla. Beat at medium speed, gradually adding enough Half & Half to reach desired consistency. Frost cooled bars.
- Frosted bars can be frozen for up to 3 months.