This hearty soup is chock-full of vegetables and oh, so satisfying.
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 medium (1 cup) onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 small zucchini, sliced, slices halved
- ¼ cup flour
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 (15 oz.) can petite diced tomatoes (can also use w/basil, garlic & oregano)
- 1 (14 oz.) can cannellini beans, rinsed, drained
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp coarse black pepper
- 1 cup orzo pasta (uncooked)
- ½ bunch kale, stems discarded, leaves chopped into bite-size pieces (3 cups packed)
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 2 cups shredded, cooked turkey
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- In a 5-6 qt. Dutch Oven or pot, melt butter over medium heat.
- Stir in onion, garlic, carrots and zucchini. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are softened (about 5 – 7 min.).
- Sprinkle flour over the vegetables and stir until flour is moistened and vegetables coated.
- Slowly stir in about 1 cup of stock. Add remaining stock, tomatoes, beans, basil, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Simmer for 10 min.
- Meanwhile, cook the orzo according to package directions. Drain; set aside.
- Stir in kale and let simmer until leaves are tender and bright green (about 5 min.).
- Slowly stir in half-and-half.
- Add turkey and reserved orzo. Simmer until heated through (5 – 10 min.).
- Ladle into bowls; top with Parmesan cheese.
- Serve with Cheesy Skillet-Toasted Bread.